Pootz In Boots

Mine is a life worth living and if I could turn back the clock, I would play the same scene at the same speed with the same players... regrets? Of course I have some but that adds the colours to this life..

My Photo
Name:
Location: KL, Malaysia

Female (quite obvious, right?), married (for 17 years), have 4 kids - 2 boys aged 16 & 4, the latter we said goodbye to 8 minutes after birth and 2 girls aged 9 & 7. Clocked 18 years of working at the same establishment, into the 19th year (and then I am considered a museum artifact). Working line is doing stuff involving the laws, legal documents and playing with words.

Tuesday 31 March 2009

Susu Ibu (Mommy's Milk)







I have been meaning to post something on this since Millie was 3 months old.... and now even her baby sister is approaching her eighth month..... oh well, better late than never..... I have been writing notes on this on other people's blog though.
I am all for breastmilk and in my opinion, formula milk should only be allowed after the baby reaching its 6 months of life and prior to that a doctor's prescription is required where it should only be given to babies where the natural mother has died or is suffering from some illness which can be transmitted to the baby through breastmilk.
There is absolutely no excuse for not exclusively breastfeeding our babies for its first 6 months (or at least for the first 4 months, or worst case, during confinement). Working mothers should not use "working" as a reason for not feeding them with mothers' (I mean, human mothers) milk. Breastmilk can be stored and the more you give your baby, the more productive the milk factory shall be. By experience, I have successfully breastfed my firstborn Haakem (exclusively for 6 months) and non exclusive until he was 2 years old. The secondborn Millie was exclusively breastfed for 7 months and continued until she was 2 years and 4 months old, well during my pregnancy (of her sister) and until her baby sister is 3 months old. And with this new baby Zara, I have exclusively breastfed her for 6 months and continue to do so until now...
After reaching 6 months, Millie refused formula altogether, choosing cereal, pureed foods (rice, veg, fish) and fruit juice instead, whereas Haakem preferred formula to food. Zara seems to want everything.... breastmilk, direct from the source, stored & warmed breastmilk, formula (I have been using dumex products for my kids), nestum (rice with milk/honey/fruits) and biscuits.
Back to breastfeeding, expressing and storing should not be a problem at all. I only need six bottles (12 oz size or 6 oz size), one feeding bottle, a small round container (taufufa container also can), towel/wet tissues and fingers. Breast pumps do not work for me. Either the battery operated or electicity powered or manual... Fingers work best. On normal working days (in the early weeks I try to be away only from 8am to 6pm, just to establish routine) preparing my body by drinking at least a glass of soy/milk and having oats for breakfast. At work, I replenish water constantly not forgetting lotsa vegetables and fish during lunch and fruits & crackers as snacks.
First collection is usually around 10-10.30 am and I would spend 20 minutes the most, second collection is after lunch at around 1pm and third is at around 4pm. Breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for 4-8 hours (depending on the temperature of the room). I keep the expressed milks in the office fridge and take them home with me in normal bag. No need any special containers as I arrive home within 30 minutes, an hour tops. Once at home, I would put them all in the fridge. Breastmilk collected within 24 hours and of the same temperature can be combined in one bottle. My normal collection for the day while at work would be 15-20 oz. One hint, do put a container to collect the dribbling milk from the other breast while you are expressing from one. Otherwise you would waste even up to 5 precious oz!!
When I am at home (or rather when the baby is with me whether home or away), it is always direct from the source and I would breastfeed her whenever she asks for it. Just like when I am expressing milk, I would collect the milk from the other breast, when my baby is feeding from one. This way, I can collect another few ounces to add to my collection!!
Expressed milk is only for when Mama is away... most days I would have enough for the next day's feed plus a few ounces to be frozen for future use (when I am on outstation duties, although I try to avoid overnight outstation duties until baby is at least 4 months old).
While on overnight outstation duties, I usually could only express milk once during the day (during lunch or tea break for I don't want to make such a big hooh hahs about it in front of everybody in the meeting/visit). But when I am back at the hotel room, it would be milk collection sessions almost every 2 hours!!!
I can vouch for the benefits to my children (and me as well as the savings!). Millie especially is seldom unwell although she was once hospitalised for suffering from bronchopneumonia but that was due to her stubbornness to take her medication, but apart from that she hardly ever fall sick, Alhamdulillah!! As for Zara, she recovered totally from her jaundice through breastfeeding and recovered very quickly if ever she has a cold or mild fever. Allergies are definitely minimised if not eliminated altogether.
There is no need for expensive apparatus, no need for special carriers/containers. Normal milk bottles would suffice. The most important thing is your unconditional love for you babies. It should come naturally... not forced and considered a chore!
As for the husbands, please encourage breastfeeding. But it all goes back to the mother hereself. I have not come across of any father who is against breastfeeding but most husbands do not encourage the wives enough and would usually be content with whatever the wives wish. No, the breasts will not sag and think of all the savings which could go to other needs like good diapers, books, insurance policies.... it would add on considering the lesser clinic visits and requirements of special formulas due to allergies.
Perhaps mothers are not aware of their duties, stated in the Holy Quran itself. Being breastfed is a birthright of every baby!! Read more about benefits of breastfeeding and listen to people who do breastfeed.
Go on, feed your baby your milk!! I still do and intend to do so until Zara is 2 years old!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home